Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mom of the Year

Here's a little story on why I might not win the Mom of the Year Award.

The other day I lost Cydnie. Twice.

First I was setting up purses at my booth inside a big convention center when she was just all the sudden gone. I mean I was really starting to get nervous searching for her; I thought if she had wandered off in the wrong direction she wouldn't be able to find her way back. Just as I was about to cry, I decided to walk out to the car. There she was. Hangin' out in the car. She got a nice lecture.

Not twenty minutes later we were at my house pricing purses I had just picked up from UPS. I let her play outside and ride her bike. After a little while she came in the house crying. I said, "What's the matter?" She said, "I falled on my bike.... and a boy is chasing me." Uhhh... huh?? Just then the door bell rang. I answer it and this boy is saying she was really really far from our house and he was talking to her trying to help her find her mom and she ran away and came home. His dad was with him and don't worry, he had already called the cops. So a patrol car pulled up in front of my parents' house. Wow, this day is really shaping up to be super. Anyway, the man said he was just making sure this in fact was her house and that we knew where she was. "Okay, well, thank you. And thank YOU, officer."

**Sigh.**

She got the lecture of her LIFE.

I actually ended up telling her about strangers and how some people who might try to talk to you or CHASE you might want to hurt you, not help you. I know she's only two but when the opportunity arises, right?!

Side note in my defense:
There is an empty parking lot next door to my house. The far corner of it looks kinda far away from anywhere so when someone sees her over there, they assume she is really far from wherever she must live. But it's not very far. And everytime I bring this up to Cyd about how those nice people thought she was lost she interupts me, "BUT I WASN'T LOST!!" To which I respond, "I know, but just don't go that far anymore!!!" To which her defiant little attitude responds, "I like to dough faw away."

**Sigh again.**

6 comments:

Kandice April 20, 2008 at 9:48:00 PM MDT  

OH man, being a mom sucks sometimes. I wish i had like a 20 foot imaginary leash on each of my kids so I could just reel em in whenever I couldn't find them...that would just be ideal.

Julie H. April 20, 2008 at 9:54:00 PM MDT  

As soon as I read about the patrol car, I couldn't help but chuckle. I know, my day is coming. Sad thing is... I've pounded the idea of strangers and running off too far into my kids' heads soooo much that each time we have a review on the subject they're in tears by the end of the talk. They're too scared to go anywhere! Hee Hee Hee

Hope April 21, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM MDT  

I'm considering a GPS microchip installed behind just underneath the skin my kids' ears.

Heidi April 21, 2008 at 3:47:00 PM MDT  

Yowza...... Sounds like an adventure!!!! So are you ready for a girls' weekend yet? By leaving the kids home there is no fear of losing them in a strange city. However, getting yourself lost in a strange city---Now that sounds like heaven!!!!!!

Tari April 21, 2008 at 10:45:00 PM MDT  

Oh girl I am with you! I have had one to many children run off on me. And no matter how many times I tell them it's not safe it just doesn't sink in. There was the time Austin hid from me in Wal-Mart, and the time Abbie rode her bike to Austin's school, and .....well the list goes on and on and on. It only takes a few seconds and they are gone. Don't beat your self up.

the meyersons April 23, 2008 at 8:15:00 AM MDT  

I'm with Hope. Take her to the vet and get it installed. I'm going right now.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP