Wednesday, April 23, 2008

To Go or Not To Go...




Allrighty this really dates me but my 10 year class reunion time has come. This brings much anxiety for me for some strange reason. I loved high school. Maybe more than some. I was really sad to leave and realize I wouldn't see those people everday, some maybe ever again. Ten years has obviously been so eye-opening to the high school experience. When I look at high school students now I kinda laugh at the mind-set one has while there. You think you know everyone; you think you know everything and don't want to find out any different. The world revolves around you and your circle of friends--forget family. (Am I alone in this?) Everything was a big deal--wearing the *gasp* same dress as someone else to a dance, albeit that would be embaressing but the end of the world? Probably not. Or worse, not getting asked to a dance!

So although I look back on my high school days with affection, I DO NOT in any way wish I could go back or be dating or be carefree ever again.

Here's the part that brings me the most anxiety:
I don't remember specifics about a lot of things. My mind, maybe thankfully, sort of glosses over things a lot, I think. My concern is, and being back in my hometown I think about this a lot: Was I a nice person? Was I mean to anyone? I'm sure I was at times. Do I want to go and look people in the eye who I may have offended? I absolutely would if I remembered something to apologize for but what if they remember something I don't? Anyone who reads this: if I ever offended you in high school, or if I ever have, please know I either didn't mean to or I was an idiot.

This is one of the things I wish to instill in my children: a love and appreciation for all personalities and to be nice to everyone. You truly never know how your paths may cross again and it would be awful to be ashamed of the way you acted.

So! Begin the discussion: If you went to school with me, are you coming to the reunion? If your reunion has come and gone, did you go? Why or why not? And if your is coming up, are you going??

12 comments:

Hillary April 23, 2008 at 1:12:00 PM MDT  

Don't worry, you WERE WAY nice in High School. You had a good class of people. But I don't know about going or not, sorry I'm no help. But you were great then, and now.

janaya April 23, 2008 at 1:27:00 PM MDT  

you know, i didn't get to go to mine because (skip long boring immigration story) the timing was wrong. but i really wanted to. even though i hadn't really talked to anyone since... well, highschool. but it was a good excuse to connect with a lot of people virtually. i think on my list of favorite things in this world, catching up with old friends is definitely near the top. so if you're like that too, i say go.

Mandy April 23, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM MDT  

I was totally having anxiety about mine last year... but you know hwat? I had FUN and I am so glad I went! I don't know if Brett will want to go this year. I kinda hope so. Infact, I think I will just RSVP for him. Yah that is a good idea. Come! You will be glad you did.

Ramanda April 23, 2008 at 3:35:00 PM MDT  

Do It! Go! Feel the fear and do it anyway! It is interesting to see how every one has changed and that we all grow up and move on and all of the sill petty stuff is in the past. Plus...what else is there to do in Vernal? The pluses definitely out weigh the negatives!

Wonderland Girl April 23, 2008 at 5:55:00 PM MDT  

Well! It is done. Not only did I just RSVP but I donated some prizes. Why not go all the way, right?

Julie H. April 23, 2008 at 9:34:00 PM MDT  

Go! I didn't want to go to mine, but my good friend, Anne, decided that Jim and I would go with her and her husband. We had each other as a support. That made the anxiety thing not as bad. But still, I had just had Hayden and wasn't looking like I wanted and blah, blah, blah. But, I did go and it was great to see how some people can change so much and others not so much. My advice is to go- that way you'll never wonder. Oh, it's kind of funny to see what type of person "so and so" married. Hee, Hee, Hee

the meyersons April 24, 2008 at 12:41:00 PM MDT  

I didn't go. I despised high school. I sound SO lame, but I'm pretty sure no one would even remember me!!

We did however go to Travis. That's the reason we didn't go to mine!! I didn't like the stress over going..

I hope this doesn't make you hate high school. To all young children who can or can't read...get an education.

Tari April 24, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM MDT  

Your so cute who would you ever offend. Your so sweet and nice. You should go. We went to Randy's last year and had a good enough time. you should go and hold your head high cause your a good person.

Candace April 24, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM MDT  

Well, I can't tell you b/c I'm not old enough to have a 10 year high school reunion!! LOL. You know I'm totally kidding; but if I were in your shoes I would feel the same; just lots of anxiety about going. I like the buddy idea. Go with another couple; then it won't be so bad. ANyways, How the heck are you Alison?! Haven't talked to you forever; sorry I've been so bad at that. We just upgraded from dial-up to high speed internet, so I can actually use my computer now! And, are those REALLY your girls?! I really can't believe how grown up they are!!! So darling. Love the fam. picture too. Hope everything is going good for you guys. Talk to you later!

Nick and Ashlee Weber Family April 28, 2008 at 7:34:00 AM MDT  

I also loved high school. I would go if I were you. I will be in Florida all summer for work so I won't be able to be there. I think it would be a blast to see everyone and how and where they are nowdays. Well, you will have to report on how it was and who you saw. Have fun!

Monica April 28, 2008 at 11:55:00 PM MDT  

I am having the exact same thoughts as you about going to the reunion. Good for you for deciding on going. I still haven't decided for sure yet. I feel like maybe I should still be in high school...what if they don't like me? What if I do something stupid? Oh brother!! Why should I care?! It's ridiculous and silly!! Have a great time if I don't end up going!!

Unknown May 7, 2008 at 8:16:00 AM MDT  

You were always sweet! I am going to the reunion but ONLY because Sammie Chivers Garcia made me promise to come and keep her company.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP