Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Small Miracle

I just wanted to share a quick story about work.

Today my fun co-worker and I did a health and safety fair in Vernal. We had so much fun! We made dumb jokes only dispatchers get and  laughed way too much. Like when we put out a toy fire truck and a toy ambulance for display and some 2-yr-old kid stole the fire truck! For reals! And we just had a good time visiting with people in our profession who in normal life we have to be ... well, less fun. : ) We also had a great time talking to kids about when (and when not) to call 911 and teaching them what to expect if they ever have to do it.

While we were at the booth, a lady came up and asked if she could ask a question. She asked her question, we answered it, and as she was about to walk away when she said, "You know, I had to call 911 a couple of months ago. My daughter was about to have a baby and she woke up with blood all over." As she continued talking, I started remembering. The daughter, who was 9 months along, woke up covered in blood and called her mom, who was an EMT. I had sent the ambulance and called the hospital to prep for an emergency C-Section. I remember when my shift was over that morning feeling sad. Bleeding that much at 9 months did not sound like it would end well. The next words out of her mouth were amazing! She said, "My daughter and her baby are here, would you like to meet them?" And I said, "OF COURSE!" The mom later returned with her daughter and BEAUTIFUL, healthy 2 month old baby.

This may have been a once-in-a-lifetime happening for me. A lot of calls Most calls do not turn out the way we wish they would. And the chances of me ever meeting another person I talk to on the phone - and knowing it was them - they're small too. And even though it's a relatively small thing, to me it was special. A little reminder of what my job is about!

4 comments:

Hope May 2, 2010 at 2:06:00 PM MDT  

I love that story! It's nice for you to get to know "the ending" (especially when it's such a good ending) to one of your "beginnings" that you are so frequently a part of!

Hillary May 2, 2010 at 2:19:00 PM MDT  

That is awesome. It's stuff like that that will help you get through the rough days.

Annie Barker May 2, 2010 at 10:19:00 PM MDT  

That's really neat. I'm so glad you stuck with it even through all the crappy times...I knew you would be awesome at that job. It's cool to think of all the people who would want to but never get a chance to thank you in person like that. :)

Jada May 4, 2010 at 10:18:00 AM MDT  

OOHHH! I just got chills! That's awesome!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP